500 S Barker | El Reno, OK 73036
Christ Memorial Church, the second oldest Episcopal church building still standing on its original site, was organized as a mission church in 1893. The building was constructed from the gift of $1,500.00 from the L. S. Wilkinson Family of Tenafly, New Jersey, hence at the dedication the name "Christ Church" was set apart as a memorial. The first baptism recorded was on September 29, 1894, The first confirmation was on February 8, 1895, the first marriage service was on February 17, 1894, & the first burial was November 2, 1894.The physical property of the church remained the same until 1949. In 1947 the Rev. Mr. Henry Bakewell, who served from November 15, 1940 until January 15, 1947, arranged a new loan to finance the church, and major changes came with the arrival of his successor, the Rev. Gilbert Curtis, who served the Church from March 1, 1947 until February 15, 1953. The first service in the remodeled building was held on Sunday, September 25, 1949, but the official opening was deferred until October 16 when a special dedication service and open house was held.Of the original furnishings only the Baptismal Font, The Lectern, a side chair in the Santuary , a prie-dieu and a Missal stand remain in the present structure.On May 24, 1970, Christ Memorial Church celebrated its Diamond Jubilee- 75th Anniversary.
There are twelve beautiful stained glass windows depicting the life of Christ and his resurrection. These windows were made by Karen Hendrix & Assoc. for Christ Memorial in 1994, and dedicated in the summer of 1995. The Rose window is set above the altar and serves as a focal point in the Nave.
500 S. Barker | El Reno, OK 73036(405) 262-1710